Re: ihc-digest V5 #168 CB Radio

> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 18:05:22 +0000
> From: zee <zee@domain.elided>
> Subject: CB Radios
>
> Is there any info or recommendations I can get on CB's? I have the Cobra
> 148 but I have no range. My guess is the aerial and/or cable is faulty.
> Does anyone have a favorite aerial? This weekend one truck had an
> amplifier on the CB and it was very impressive. Is this a good idea or
> are there any comments?

Bryan,

Here is my two cents worth.
Use a quarter wave antenna either on the bumper or on a ball mount
attached to the rear quarter. I think quater wave for 27mhz should be
around 104"
Use good 50ohm coaxial cable(Not from Radio Shack). I use RG-8--It's
easy to solder the ends on, though it is a little large. Coax does not
need tuning. You do not have to worry about cutting the coax to a
specific length. The shorter the run, the better, though.
Have your SWR(Standing Wave Ratio) checked by someone who knows how to
use a SWR meter or bridge and tune the antenna. The lower the ratio, the
better.
Have your radio checked by a qualified radio shop for power out, correct
modulation, and receiver sensitivity.
Use a direct wire to the battery with good connections.
Install a noise filter in-line. Radio Shack does have a decent one.
Stay away from the boosters, amps, pre-amps, mic gadgets, and noise
makers.
Using a solid-state ignition trigger like the Pertronix unit should help
receiver quieting if you have a points-type ignition.

Please send any rebuttals to my email. Let's try not to make this a long
thread.

Mark Prescott
77SSII
KE4LWP Amateur Radio