Re: Lift hatch door handle stopped working...

> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:30:46 EST
> From: LYB21@domain.elided
> Subject: Lift hatch door handle stopped working...
>
> My lift hatch stopped locking in place.  has anyone experienced this problem
> before and do you have any suggestions in repairing the problem. I have called
> around and it seems that the latchs "T" handles can't be found.  Any ideas on
> what to replace it with.
> Thanks
> Larry Y. Brown
> 1979 Scout/Diesel non-turbo
> 1965 BSA Lightning Rocket
>
> ------------------------------

Your inluck I just had this problem a few days ago. I too called around
they told me a used one would cost $75 I almost passed out!  I decided
since it did not work to tear it down and see how it operated.  First
unscrew the T handle from the lift gate.  Then at a workbench remove the
washer that is under tention by a spring on the back of the T handle.
This allows you to remove it from the main T housing.  Now Two things
must be done, On my lock I had a replacement lock cylinder so destroying
the old cylinder was not a problem issue. on yours it maybe since it
sounds like your secondary internal tumber is broken (when you open it
you'll understand.)  Anyway once you remove the washer under tention(use
two flathead screwdrivers on eiter side to pop it off) you can then push
out the locking pin a small square metal shaft (this should move easily
in the unlocked position) If your key still turns the tumblers then turn
it half way twist and pull out this may take some time be patient yet
firm.  Rock it back and forth perpendicular to the keys direction while
pulling out.  I had to pry the face of the tumbler off and slowly broke
up the tumbler till it came out.  below the tumbler was a small metal
connector shaft with a hole on one side which the end of the tumbler
fits into and a point like a pencil tip on the other (this is what
pushes the locking pin in and out!)  on mine and probally yours this
broke off.

My solution was to take a small drill bit (thick pencil lead size) and I
drilled about a 1/2 inch into the part then I cut the back end of my
drill bit off and put it into the hole filed it down till it worked like
new.  I didn't even have to glue my piece because it fit very tightly
but I suggest it since it's a real pain to do this.

If you don't understand this because trying to explain parts that don't
have names and most people have never seen is difficult E-mail me.
Edkraus@domain.elided

Good luck let me know what you find.
Ed Kraus
1974 Scout II