oil pumps, edu..

	Good Afternoon,

After a eventful morning trying to get the oil pan off my scout I find that
it(oil pan)
can not be moved far enough to get the oil pump out - I was led to believe that
this was possible -not from this list.  Anyway, it seems that the pan would be
able to get out of the way enough if I could remove the dipstick tube.  So far
I've already removed the dipstick bolt at the ex. manifold, but is there a way to
remove it at the pan while its still on the vehicle? Can I just pull it out with
a pliers? I know this may sound like a stupid question but I've never had to
remove an oil pan before, and I'd like to not have to drop the front axle. Has
anybody had experience with changing oil pumps with the engine in the vehicle?
VERY much thanks in advance. -oh my scout has about 1" of lift at the shackles.
	To the person changing the spring eye bushings I've tried both the burn
'em out method and the press 'em out method -they were suggested to me by other
helpful people on the list a few months back and I can say that both methods
work but burning them out seemed to go quicker - but was more messy. To press
them out (I used this method the first time I did this job) I simply rigged up a
pulley press across the eye and pushed them out. I wrecked several presses but
they were craftsman -break it, get a new one free.;)
	Lastly, .edu as I think someone mentioned can apply to educators as well
as students as I grad student I guess I'm both. We're not nearly as poor as
college kids since we get paid to go to school, thus, the luxury and honor of
scout ownership can be mine, arr, har, har!:>

							Thanks Again,
							Tom Kemp
							Fort Collins,CO
							1974 Scout II
             Till I find a nice IH at the right price ->1976 Dodge Charger