TeraLow 4-1 for Dana 300

I don't know that this *directly* applies to installing these gears in the
Scout II Dana 300, but this came across the ORD earlier this week...

-Tom

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 98 14:58:00 PST
From: Mark R Werkmeister <Mark_R_Werkmeister@domain.elided>
Subject: Tera Manufacturing 4:1 Gear Set for Dana 300
To: offroad@domain.elided

     Joe wrote:

     <I want to hear more about the Tera gear set!  How much, how hard is
     <it to do the work, and what's you impression as to it's quality?  Is
     <it 4:1?  I heard 3.6:1.  (?)
     <This IS what I want.  It's the only gearing change that gets you the
     <best of both worlds, street and offroad!

     I installed a set of Tera Manufacturing's TeraLow gears for the Dana
     300.  They are a true 4.0:1.0 reduction unit.  The kits consists of new
     front output, rear output, and intermediate gears; a specially notched
     shift rod to clear the larger intermediate gear, and a full seal/gasket
     kit.

     I believe that the price for the Dana 300 kit is $695 but don't quote
     me on that, the price is not listed yet on Tera's web page
     (www.teraflx.com).  Call Tera at 801-256-9897 and ask.

     The kit is as easy as rebuilding a Dana 300 case, the steps involved
     are exactly the same.  A bearing press (or bearing heater), gear
     puller, and dial indicator are needed to do the job right but an
     inventive shadetree mechanic can probably get by with less.

     The quality is top notch.  The gears are manufacturered using processes
     that only a metalurgist would understand (and is only made this
     affordable only by a high volume order).

     Bottom line:  Field testing......I have had the gears in for five
     hundred miles and three trips over extreme trails (including the NEW
     Habanero Falls trail in Las Cruces) and so far have nothing but praise
     for the unit.  At highway speeds, the gears are at least as quiet as
     stock 300 gears (mine are actually quieter but I replaced all the
     bearings while the case was apart) and the gear noise in Lo is the
     same as before.  The change from 2.64:1 to 4.0:1 makes a VERY
     noticable difference in crawling ability (I went from 80 something to
     one to 120 something to one) and of course the drivability on the road
     hasn't changed a bit.

     This kit is great for someone looking for really deep gears but is an
     absolute DEAL for someone who wants a lower crawl ratio with a
     stockish ring and pinion ratio that allows comfortable highway
     cruising.

     Mark