Traveler liftgate mods - again!

Oyez! Harvesters:

I know I've asked this question before, but in the vein of a Mandera-ism (a
neologism I coined when I set up a special filter and mailbox on Eudora
just for Manderagrams), I'm determined to have both a liftgate and a
tailgate on my Traveler a la the Scout II.

I know folks recommend against it, but it seems to me there is a perfect
"cut me" line on the liftgate where the body line runs across the top of
the fender, over the gate and to the other fender.  The support studs are
still in the same spots, and the gate would still be able to open and lift
up properly.

I would need to stiffen the bottom (as well as patch the "hole" left when I
cut off the bottom of the gate), but with some properly selected angle
stock, and pop rivets and modern epoxy, this shouldn't be un-doable.

Putting a latch/lock assy in would be a challenge.  This has been
addressed...but one could be cloned from another vehicle style, I suppose,
or, as suggested from a garage door dealer ;-).

I really hate that big floppy traveler liftgate.  Tom, send me a message!

By the way, I've got info on Durabak, if anyone wants it.  Just private
email me.

Sermon mode on:
And on the topic of rollbars:  I was planning to install mine on 03NOV97.
I took trip camping with the kids on 31st OCT to 02NOV97.  Top off.  Got
plowed into by an old fella in a mitsubichi p/u, and was t-boned, then
front-ended a utility pole.  All kids (4) banged up, I got a little
pulverized, and '79 Traveler killed.  Did not flip.  But, if I had, it
would have been my luck that my kids were killed and I would have lived.
Before my '78 FrankenBinder is back on the road, top on or no, it will have
the rollbar put in it.
Sermon mode off:

By the way, I got my rollbar from ScoutM.A.D.ness.  Good price (like $180),
and nice quality.  Very heavy duty.  5-piece.  Will help when I put in
3-point seatbelts.

Yours in scouting (the IH kind)

Roger Scow
***
It's funny, you'd think that all of those guys in MENSA, the genius club,
could have figured out that, in Spanish, "mensa" means "stupid."