misc stuff

First, I've tried this site a couple of times and ways (I'm NOT a computer
person) and totally failed to get anything I can understand, what am I
doing wrong? http://www.paradox.net/homepages/jwangelin/page3.htm

Second
>Terry, it was my post you referenced.  I absolutely understand what you're
>saying, but keep in mind that I have *no* roll bar right now -- muffler
>tubing (that's unbelievable) aside, it seems like almost anything that is
>actually a *roll bar* would be an improvement.    All I was saying is that,
>the bikini top benefits are the major impetus for me to buy a roll bar
>sooner rather than later, and that given my driving habits and cost
>constraints, I don't think a full cage is worth the cost at this point.

I understood that and I applaud the decision to get someting in there, my
rant was a generic one about people who design mods around form rather than
function, like the guy with the muffler tubing cage. He wanted to race his
Land Cruiser, rules said full cage, he had a 1 3/4" tube roll bar that was
alleged to be chrome-moly tubing so he had 2" muffler tubing bent to attach
so it looked like a real cage, painted it and padded it. Thankfully
something shinier distracted him before he actually raced the thing. I only
hope his "cage" didn't hurt the next owner. As i alluded to, I've rolled my
CJ twice, on the highway both times, the second time (about 40 MPH in the
snow) I got airborne and landed on the corner of the rollbar just above the
driver's head. That cage is gone now, too bent to fit under a top. The
point is that had it's primary function been looks or accessory mounting I
might not be here to write this, as it is, I finished the trip to pick up
my youngest at a girl scout function and drove us home (about another 180
miles total). Ther first time was almost identical circumstances, no cage,
just the bar, I felt very lucky to not eat the windshield frame and that
prompted the cage installation. The CJ is fixed (sorry) and lives to fight
another day (now has a scout D300 BTW) When my oldest got her 800 she
immediately wanted the top and doors off, mean old parents wouldn't let her
until it had a decent roll bar, she was willing to just rig up something to
hold the bikini up and be gone. I wanted to really emphasize to importance
of doing things right, even if it takes longer. Most of us all know that,
apparantly you do. Unfortunately some may not and I just wanted to stress
it  again and again so we don't lose anybody nutty enought to live with
these beasts.

>That being said, I fully intend to buy (or have fabricated) a real roll bar
>and install it correctly.  Anybody have Smittybilt's phone # handy?  Do
>they make something specifically for Scout II's?

Good, I don't have their number here, I can try to find it at home though.
I think they may have a web page too. I think Kentrol makes some ($$$)
Shanco may as well, and several folks have multipiece ones from GUS and
others.

>As far as mounting goes, I'd assumed that four bolts through the mounting
>foot through the bed would be adequate -- is that wrong?  Is there some way
>to transfer load to the frame?

Frame mounting kits are available, although you may have to modify a jeep
kit, from 4wd hardware and MORE as well as probably others. I have had good
success with the simple body mounting techniques that they are designed
for(on a steel body). Just ensure your backing plates are large, and not
the exact same size as the roll bar feet. Think about where you sit and
your height when you mount(or design) you bar so that you don't smack the
old melon every time you get in or stretch.

Good luck and have fun with it,