Re: FA52 front axle hubs

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:18:32 +-100 paul beijer
<paul.beijer@domain.elided> writes:
>Hi all,
>
>Does anyone know if an FA52 front axle is equiped with auto-hubs? I have
>1310 4x4 truck built in '71. If I push the truck back and forth with the

>front axle disengaged, the prop shaft seems to be rotating. Is this
normal
>for this type of axle?

An FA-52 COULD be equipped with Lockomatic hubs, or manual hubs, or no
hubs at all.  Do your hubs say "Lockomatic" or "Automatic"?  If not, then
they're not automatics.

If you have your hubs in the unlocked position and transfer case in 2WD,
the prop shaft should not rotate whether you have manual hubs or
automatics (although I've noticed on some older Ford F-250's where you
can easily see the front shaft that it will slowly rotate while driving
down the street--I assume due to drag in the transfer case, but that
isn't what you're seeing.)

But when you say "the front axle is disengaged" do you mean disengaged at
the transfer case and you have no hubs to unlock?  If so, then the prop
shaft will always rotate whenever the vehicle moves.

I'm not quite sure which case applies to your question.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]