Re Cracked Frame

>I want to hear from someone that has had a cracked frame @ the >steering box..

I have a crack in the frame at the steering box. The symptoms as I know
them are a flexing of the steering box when the truck stationary and the
steering wheel is being turned. You need two people. This can also be a
loose box so the best solution is to take the box off, then you can
really see. If the frame is cracked you will probably see a hairline
between the bolt holes. It will need to be welded with a reenforcing
plate.

>That darned "clunk" is back again.. it had all but gone away, while
>running my 235/75s.. I put my 31s back on last weekend to go play in >the
>snow, and that clunk is back with a vengeance..

I too have the clunk and the best explanation I have come up with is the
front axles slipping in and out of the spindle when the truck changes
direction. I haven't heard anyone on the digest with this theory, but
having chased the clunk for years I know that there are many potential
clunks that can be fixed yet the clunk remains. Check that one out.

>On a related/unrelated note, my Scout also pulls right or left,
>depending.. haven't figured out WHY or what makes it choose right or
>left, but I find myself holding the wheel a little to one side..

You may have a cracked frame and/or brake sliders that are sticking.
Both typical Scout conditions. Check the spring hangers, especially the
ones at the rear of the front springs. Sometimes they can look fine but
are totally cracked just waiting to let go completely. Use a wire brush
and look for hairlines in the welds or between the welds and the frame.
My guess is you will not have to look too hard.

Bryan