Re: Assorted interior/body/cab questions

>For now, however, I've got a few other questions related to my
>body/interior project (which seems to grow in scale every time I think
>about it):

Heh.. that's funny, mine too! :-)

>welding is finished.  I'll put carpet down in the front, but will leave the
>Durabak uncovered in the rear.  (Does that sound like a good idea -- Tom M,
>didn't I see on your website that that's basically what you're planning?).
>Anyway, can someone (Tom?) get me the number for Durabak, and an idea of
>how much I'll need?

I saved the recent(ish) post on Durabak somewhere.. seems to me I was
*going* to make an HTML page of it...

In any manner, off-road.com has some stuff (look in the banners) about
Durabak.  I believe it's $100/gal for black, and my guess is you'll want 2
gallons.

Alan W. had some information on a "dealer" quantity purchase and some sort
of discount.. Alan, how much do we need to buy?  I'm in the market for 2
gallons of the stuff in black, and I *think* I want to "paint" the outside
with it as well.. I'm waiting on some pics of Brian Sneed's CJ and Toy
before I finally decide..

But maybe it's time for a few of us to buy a few gallons?

In any manner, YES, I plan on fixing my floor and then Durabaking the whole
thing, up the sides of the body tub and everything.  I don't plan on putting
any carpet in.. for a few reasons you noted, one of which being rain in the
summer with the Bikini top.

>Anyone have ideas about good vehicles off of which to scavenge good
>replacement bucket seats?  I'm thinking vinyl, for when the top is off...

It seems a LOT of Honda seats are finding their ways into 4x4s.. maybe a set
of CRX seats (2door, so they flip forward), or some larger Accord seats..
though I'm not sure on the flip/forward part.

>I'm going to need a rollbar -- more for supporting a bikini top than for
>safety (my off-roading is *usually* pretty tame).  Suggestions?

Giddum Up Scout - $200 for the 5-piece bolt-together bar, delivered to your
door.

$50 for the Bikini, and $15 for the mounting hardware for the Bikini top.

>Any ideas for the insides of the doors?  I'm afraid the old door pads will
>look nasty next to new seats and carpet.

I have vinyle on the '72, which is in good shape, but the '77 has steel door
panels.  If you were inclined, you could find some steel panels at the junk
yard, clean 'em up, and either paint or Durabak 'em.

>While I'm at it, maybe I should reupholster the back bench seat.  Ideas --
>keeping rain and sun in mind?

Oh, forgot about the rain stuff.. I remember seeing in JCWhitney clear
plastic seat covers.. so if you get some cloth seats, you could put the
clear plastic covers on it, and then put some typical cloth truck seat
covers on top of the plastic.. thus only the seat cover would get wet.

>for easy access to the dash innards.   I'll also redo the wiring while I'm
>at it, and I'm thinking of trying to fabricate a metal box behind the glove
>compartment door to hold my CD changer -- the area is too small as it is,
>so I thought I'd snag a bigger door from an IH truck, fit it with a lock,
>and affix the metal box behind that.

Hmm.. just my $0.02, but if you were a car stereo theif, where would you
look first?  GLOVEBOX.  In fact, when the CD player was stolen from my '77
this summer, the thieves also opened the glove box.. left it open with my
wallet (cards n' all) and check book sitting on the glovebox door,
untouched.. they didn't find a stereo in there, so they took the CD player
and ran.

I'm planning on installing my 10 disc changer in the bucket seat base under
the driver.. make a hole just big 'nuff on the front of the seat base for
the access panel, and you're set.  Mount the changer as high up as possible
to avoid any water issues.

Do it right, and it should be theft proof.

I've also been toying with the idea of mounting a 200w amp inside the dash..
just above the bottom of the dash, behind the heater controls and such..
looks like there's *just* enough room...

-Tom