Pertronix

Devin,

This was mentioned some time ago, but I'll be glad to repeat. I have installed
a Pertronix unit in both my 74 Scout II with 345 and also in my 65 Scout 80
with the 4 cyl engine.

On the 74 with the 345 V8, I was tired of having the gold box quit while
cruising down the freeway. I replaced the gold box and pickup assembly, but
the next year as soon as the cold wet weather started again, the Scout would
just cut out and die whenever it felt like it. I determined my choices were:
1-Keep on replacing the gold box and pickup assembly once a year. Not
acceptable.
2-Swap in a Mallory Unilite distributor. However, this would mean carrying
another unilite assembly in the glovebox at all times as it might quit out in
the middle of nowhere. I don't think so.
3-Swap in a Mallory Dual point distributor. Better, but I really would like
electronic ignition in my Scout.
4-Swap in a points distributor out of another earlier Scout. Again, I would
like Elec. ignition.
5-Swap in a Mallory Dual point distributor, and upgrade the distributor with a
Unilite module. Sounded great.

Here's what I did.
I ordered the Mallory Dual point from a mail order shop, and they told me that
my plan was doable (is doable a word ?). Of course the distributor is almost
$200.00, and the Unilite upgrade is another $100.00+. After a couple weeks,
the distributor still hadn't arrived, so I called the mail order firm and they
told me that Mallory didn't have any in stock but would be making some soon.
My instincts told me to call Mallory directly and see when they would be doing
their next run of IH dual point distributors. Glad I did. I told the Mallory
rep what I had in mind, and he told me that the IH dual point distributor
could not be upgraded with the Unilite module. Argh. I cancelled my order for
the Mallory, and reconsidered my options. I called around and found a points
type Scout distributor and bought a Pertronix ignition unit. The Pertronix
cost $80.00. I keep the points in my glovebox. The Pertronix works flawlessly.
I do want to have the distributor recurved to match the old curve. End result
is electronic ignition all the time with backup of points at a decent overall
cost.

On the 65 Scout 80, here's what I did. I called Pertronix, but they don't make
a unit for the 4 cyl engine. However, upon looking at the distributor, I
noticed that all it is, is a Chevy small block distributor with four towers
blocked off. The answer was easy. I bought a Pertronix unit for the small
block and removed 4 of the magnets that trigger the spark, and have been using
it ever since. Works like a champ.

I hope this helps. If any off you IH'ers want more details on either Pertronix
I installed, either e-mail me or if enough people are interested in the info,
I can put up a page on my web site with deatails, and pics.

STeve
74 Scout II with the infamous 40 gallon gas tank