Re: Extra Batt w/ AC

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:30:45 -0500 tsm1@domain.elided (Tom Mandera) writes:

>Anyone ever give any thought to "hollowing out" the rear inner-bed
panels?
>There's a fair sized gap in there.. you could cut the body panels on the
>*inside* of the tub, put a flat mounting plate that extends out to the
outer
>fender, put a battery or three in there, and either 1) hinge an access
>panel, or 2) build a small "box" out from the bed wall (if there's not
'nuff
>clearance).  Let the hydrogen vent though the outer fender (either
existing
>gas filler neck, some "looseness" in the fittings, rust holes, or make a
>small breather if you must)

I've seen an auxiliary fuel tank built into this area.  It was
rectangular, went from the back of the wheel well to the tailgate and
from the outer fender panel in about as far as the inside of the wheel
well.  I've thought about building a storage compartment the same way,
but haven't yet.

Look closely before trying to mount something in this area on the
driver's side.  In addition to the fuel filler, some year's models have a
large plastic vapor recovery tank in this area.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]