Re: Extra Batt w/ AC

>I intend to mount 2 or maybe 3 batteries under the floor, just behind
>the "step", in the middle.  This will save room in the engine

*smile* This seems to be a popular area.. ;)

I was (at first) thinking of that same step as the mounting location for an
air tank, though it would need to be around 4 or 6" in diameter to not
interfere with the rear driveline at full compression..

But, my little 196 certainly doesn't need dual exhaust, so there's some room
in the back, either before the step, or after the step, to mount an air tank
lengthwise along the bed.

You have a Terra, which gives you more room to play with.. :)

My only "problem" with mounting batteries under the bed, is the low fording
depth.  Granted, after I do my ~5" of lift on my '72, I don't *expect* to
have water up to the seats again (actually, my friend the Prev. Owner did
that.. and has pics!), but if I *do*..

On a stock Scout, I *think* the only "water danger" is the starter.. it's
just about the lowest (somewhat vital) electrical part.  Granted, the turn
signals and such are down there, but really.. the starter is the lowest
important item that could cause some harm.. after that, you need to get to
the bottom of the dash (fuse panel) before you run into any "real" problems,
electrical wise.

Anyone ever give any thought to "hollowing out" the rear inner-bed panels?
There's a fair sized gap in there.. you could cut the body panels on the
*inside* of the tub, put a flat mounting plate that extends out to the outer
fender, put a battery or three in there, and either 1) hinge an access
panel, or 2) build a small "box" out from the bed wall (if there's not 'nuff
clearance).  Let the hydrogen vent though the outer fender (either existing
gas filler neck, some "looseness" in the fittings, rust holes, or make a
small breather if you must)

That doesn't put things down low like you want, Dan.. but it does move
things rearwards.  It also sets things up for a rear winch.. :)

>I'm barefoot right now so I'm not gonna go outside and look, but if I
>remember correctly it's built into the bottom of the tank on my '76.

A few others have confirmed this.. that was where I thought I'd find it... :-)

-Tom