Ouch, that hurt......

     >Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:53:57 -0500 (EST)
     >From: Chris & Ranae Procyk <procyk19@domain.elided>
     >Subject: Re: '64 1210 Crew Cab 4X4

     >>I have found a sharp, no dents or rust, 1964 IH 1210 Crew Cab 4x4

     >>and have a couple of questions.

     >ARRGHHH!!!  Why not me??

     NO RUST??????  Where is this truck located?

     >>1. I noticed the wheels were six lug, but they don't seem to be
any
     >>bolt pattern that is still in production.

     >This would probably be on the FAQ if anybody had a good answer!
     >They are a weird bolt pattern, but at least look way cool with
those
     >huge lug nuts.  Find another tire shop.

     Stocton Wheels can fix you up with the bolt pattern, diameter,
offset
     and width.

     >>4. All this needs is a paint job, and maybe power steering and
disc
     >>brakes:-), to be a great truck.  What do you think it would be
     >>worth?

     >Disc brakes will be a problem with the 6-bolt wheels.  The big
drums
     >properly maintained with a power booster actually can probably
stop a
     >freight train, (if they don't get wet <g>) but modulation is *not*

     >the best..

     Is it even possible to swap the front drums for disc brakes on
these
     old closed knuckle D44's?  Sure would entertain the idea, but the
huge
     drums seem to slow my 67 Travelette down pretty good. (downshifting

     helps during emergency stops, big time)

     >Power steering would also be almost impossible *if* you wanted an
     >original type.  Those trucks used a power ram system like the big
     >trucks, and I've never seen one.

     I have the power ram system on my T-ette, you sure have to spin the

     steering wheel a lot more to turn, but with little effort.  I don't

     know if there are any inherent problems with this system.

     >They're cool trucks but nobody wants them, (So I'm a nobody, huh?)
so
     >it should be cheap. (Oh, great)   I'd start at $1000, maybe even
     >lower.  (You're killing me) If you pay 2x that much you'll still
be
     >doing great, though, if the metal is as good as you say.  There's
     >always an IH guy willing to buy one in that price range, (I hope)
if
     >you don't de-orginalize it too much (or too permanently), so it's
not
     >a huge risk.  It doesn't have the options (the biggies are A/C and
     >5spd)(cool) that take it to the next level in value, though, so if

     >you put a $5K custom paint job on it don't expect to get it back!

     >OTOH, having those options shrinks the number of people who are
     >willing/able to give you what it's worth if you need to dump it,
     >as one unfortunate list member can probably testify to. (Ouch!)

     Well, now that I feel one inch
tall.................................,

     I have been successful in selling a number of old projects and
     cleaning out the garage in the process!  The wife's happy, and my
need
     to sell my 67 Travelette is not as urgent as it once was.  The
family
     member I bailed out of trouble, is paying me back (be it ever so
     slow), and I'm toying with keeping the old bindersaurus.  But, I
     promised the wife that I will still sell it to the first person
with
     the do re mi.

     So, as a man of my word.....

     For Sale, sorta

     1967 1200B Travelette, 3/4 ton, 4x4, D44 in front, D60 w/powerlock
in
     rear, T-34 5spd OD, PS, PB, Factory Air Conditioning (that works
     great), hydraulic tilt flat bed w/ stake sides, 67,000 miles, rusty

     fenders and grille support, rusty floors.  The rest of the cab is
     solid and the doors fit good.  $3,000.00 (not too scary)

     Jeff Gann
     jeff_gann@domain.elided
     (972)652-2871 work
     (214)341-4303 home

     OR  If anyone knows of a travelette with good sheetmetal for sale
near
     Texas? A plain jane example is ok, and 2wd is ok. Can you say parts

     truck? Sure, I knew you could.