Brake Booster Disassembly

John,

Just read your post.  Three words for you.  DON'T DO IT!!!!

There is a BIG spring in there, and it can launch itself.  The proper way to
do it is to use a long stroke press and a cage (Steel tubing large enough to
go around the assembly) to contain the pieces.  Add to that the fact that it
is NOT made to take apart (as contrasted by the medium/heavy duty models
with a band clamp).  This thing can really ruin your day if it gets away
from you.

Sorry to be so adamant about this, but I saw a friend get killed taking
apart a spring brake assembly for a semi one time.  Took the left side of
his face and head off.  Needless to say, it makes me a little gun-shy.

We have some brake shops around here that will rebuild your unit if you
bring it in.  That isn't usually a lot cheaper, but sometimes a little.  Big
thing is that you can see how it comes apart and what it takes to do it.
After that, if you still want to give it a whirl, have at it but just be
careful out there.

John Stricker

jstricke@domain.elided

"I didn't spend all these years getting to the top of the food chain
just to become a vegetarian"