Vacuum Brake Booster Repair

Hey gang,

Has anyone ever got up enough guts to try and disassemble one of the IH
dual diaphragm vacuum brake boosters?  Repair parts (if needed) *must* be
available somewhere is one digs hard enough.  I just can't believe how much
rebuilt units cost.  I think the bulk of the charge is for the black magic
and witchcraft associated with the repair... sort of like automatic
transmissions!

I know from looking at the IH shop manual there is a *big* return spring
inside the booster casing.  That's the only thing that stops me from trying
to open one.  If I don't get killed from a supersonic flying spring, I'm
worried about never being able to get it back together.

If no ones ever tried this, I might just play Lewis and Clark with one and
try to discover some uncharted territory!

Any thought?

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |    1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot"
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |