Re: Several Questions regarding tranny swap....

>you get what you pay for... now the truck (78 Scout II, 345) has a terrible
>vibration at a little above idle speed, which smoothes out for awhile, and
>then gets terrible when I try to exceed 53MPH (sorry, don't have a tach,
>don't know axle ratios...).  Anyway, the shop did have the flywheel

Are you sure this isn't a DRIVELINE problem?  I can't comment on whether or
not the drivelines are IDENTICAL between a 727 and a T19 equipped Scout (I
do believe all manual trannies used the same 'lines).  This sounds like
typical drive-line vibration by not having the angles equal, or maybe just
shot U-joints.

The front 'joints on my '72 went out last winter.. any time I put it into
4wd, it shook and vibrated pretty bad (probably went a week before I got it
into the driveline shop and blew $60 an end for new joints and balancing)

>Anyway, the transmission shop owner said it was "normal" for an old truck
>with a manual transmission.  I personally find it very frustrating, not to

Hmm.. my '72 Scout II 304-->3spd, and my '77 w/ 196 --> 3spd don't have
this.. nor does my '76 Chevy Luv 1.8L --> 4spd, or any other manual tranny
truck I've ever driven!  Even that old Peterbilt 9spd didn't do it.. ;-)

>thanks...) so this one is ruined.  The one that my 727 used has the xfer
>case hole in the right place, and I have cut a hole for the shifter, however
>the patched hole from the auto shifter looks terrible...  anyway, does
>anyone have the correct transmission plate for sale?

Hmm.. recalling visions of TONTO yet again.. Willie had to move his holes
backwards (installed a Ranger 2spd OD between the engine/tranny).  He marked
off the now holes, and cut 'em just right.  Then put some aluminum or steel
plate to cover the stock holes.

Do that, then have the tranny cover Rhino Lined.. shouldn't cost much, and
it'll take out any imperfections in your "body work"..

I plan on Durabaking the floor of my '72 after I (get it back and) fix the
rusty body mounts / floor / fender.. a little bedliner will clear up any
poor body work lickety-split.  :-)

>Finally, what sort of lube should I run in the T19?  Are there drain and
>fill holes like the transfer case?  I looked briefly for them, but didn't

Hmm.. can't remember what you need to run, but yes there should be a fill /
drain plug.  I took my '77 in for a lube n' oil (At -20, I'll spend the $$),
and they changed the T15 3spds lube for me..

>see them.  Also, the reverse lights don't work, there are two wires with
>plugs dangling in the transmission area, one is hooked up to the manual (but
>apparently does nothing) and the other is hanging loose.  Any ideas what
>these were / are?  Is this an applied ground, or applied positive switch?

Should be one switch for the backup lights, and one switch for the "Front
Axle Engaged".  My '77's FAE light works on-and-off.. probably busted the
wires a little bit.

You may also (I can't be sure) have another wire for a "Neutral" sensor for
some emissions garbage if it's a California Tranny.. (I think this is right???)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs