closed knuckle vs. open

What is the difference, advantages / disadvantages of a closed knuckle
axles as opposed to an open knuckle axle? Are they stronger? weaker?
Could I convert one to open that is closed?
  The reason I ask is I have a Dana 44 from a Power wagon. I just
measured it up and it seams the spring perches are one inch wider center
to center then a scout perch. The ball joints are wider apart but if I
could change it to an open knuckle disk set-up I could probable narrow
it down to size. The main reason for this thread is that the axle is
already a spring over configuration. That would eliminate having to
shave all that steel off of my regular axle.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
1979 International Scout EXR                              (Extreme Rust)
1971 International Scout MD
                              (Many Dents)