Re: ihc-digest V5 #135

> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:52:40 EST
> From: n9ads@domain.elided (Howard R Pletcher)
> Subject: Re: Locking Hubs
>
> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:23:42 -0500 cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees)
> writes:

> >Howard,
> > I know we talked about this last month but my keyboard was swimming
> >in ginger ale at the time and I finnally got a replacement. The Scouts
> >had three types of hubs. The manual Warn hub, the automatic Warn hub,
> >and a dualmatic hub. I know what the manual and auto do and have one
> >of each, but I don't know what the dualmatic does and I have a set of
> >them as well. Are they mearly a locking hub or do they operate like a
> auto hub also?
> >
> In the mid-70's, IH was looking for ways to take cost of the the Scout
> and the Warn Hubs, while good, were not cheap.  IH tested a number of
> other brands and ended up making the Dualmatic the baseline manual hub
> with the Warns still available as options.  My feeling is that most
> people elected to use the Warn hub for the additional cost because of the
> name.

A *suggestion* For those of you who use auto-hubs.

Engage 4 wheel drive (to allow the hubs to ramp up and engage) before you
leave the highway, enter the mudhole, ice patch or whatever and lose rear
traction.

Having had auto hubs on a 1210 4X4 and Scout II, I learned the hard way
that it is frustrating to get stuck, engage 4 wheel drive, and not have
one auto hub fully engage, and remain stuck.

Then when you get out to manually engage the hubs, you find out that the
partially engaged hub is *very* difficult to lock.

Meanwhile your passenger who owns a j**p, is dry and inside the cab and
making encouraging remarks about your IHC and your efforts.

Ted borck	tborck@domain.elided