Re: York A/C

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded tsm1@domain.elided (Tom
Mandera) whispering:

>Well, I just bought a nice grimy old York compressor from the local salvage
>yard @ $35.. ironically, from a Jeep!

Are you actually going to put *that* one on your Scout?

>Has a '09' on the model number, which leads me to believe it's a 9c.i. model
>(per data posted earlier that's now found its way to my web page).
>
>So.. I'm thinking, 9c.i. per revolution, so at.. say.. 1000rpm, that's 9,000
>cubic inches of output.. or 9000ci/m
>
>I think I'm right when I figure that it takes 144 (12x12) cubic inches to =
>one cubic foot..

Actually, I *think* it's like this Tom... 12ci x 12ci x 12ci (verses just
12 x 12).  So that would be 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot.

Thus, assuming a 9000 ci per minutes output, that would be 9000 ci/m / 1728
= 5.21 cfm.  Not too bad for such a small compressor.

However, I think the compressor turns at a faster speed than the engine
rpm, but it's raining heavily outside and I'm too lazy to measure all of
the pullies.  You'd need to measure the crank pulley and the water pump
pulley to get the ratio there, and then calculate the ration from the water
pump pulley to *your* York compressor pulley.  The pullies on the York
compressor vary in size depending on the make/model they came off of.  So
I'll be the compressor speed is faster to some degree than the engine rpm.
If you then boost your engine rpm with you new hand throttle, you could
really up the compressor output.

For example, at around 2016 compressor rpm, you'd get 10.5 cfm output.

Have fun

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |    1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot"
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |