Solid state voltage regulators

     I'm flipping through the Motorla Linear Intergarted Circuits book,
     for some work stuff, and..

     I think it was John L, but, I'm not sure who came up with a setup
     for making a regulator, for 5v for the Fuel guage.  Questions:
     1) I thought it used a 7805.  Why did you choose that over another
     part, and what case configuration did you get?
     2) the output on the 7805 is limited to 1A.  Is that sufficient for
     the guage, and will it be in service years from now?
     3) does the response on the guage read full when full, empty when
     empty with this change alone, or is there another step?
     4) does it speed up the response of the guage, as I have dual tanks
     and want a faster reading, when switching, currently it takes a few
     minutes to stabilize.

        I'm planning on making a few different voltage regulators, and
     some as much as 10A.  I'd just like to know about the fuel guage
     now.

        Thanks a bunch in advance,

     -Joel Brodsky
        Raytheon Missile Systems Company

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hella Rallye 2000s, Back-up/area
             lights, and a Hi-lift Jack on a Con-Ferr 5'x7' Roof Rack.
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.