Re: head gaskets

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded Rob Marks
<RobMar@domain.elided> whispering:

>In doing the final assembly of my 392 "improved cooling" I question the
>gaskets that were included in the full kit.  These have less water holes
>than other IH gaskets I have seen.  Obvious difference is top water
>holes have been reduced to 1/8" diameter.  Does less water movement
>between head and block="Improved cooling"????  Any help.   Thanks in
>advance.

Rob,

If this information helps any... I removed the square-bore intake manifold
I'm using on my 76 Traveler from a 1974 Pickup at a local wrecking yard
with an improved cooling 392.  I specifically remember that the intake
manifold gaskets were marked with an IH part number and appeared to be
original.  I remember noticing at the time that these gaskets had almost
all of the center coolant passageway (the one that supplies coolant to the
area under the carburetor plenum) blocked off except for a small hole maybe
1/8" diameter in the center.  I recall the other coolant passageway
openings between the intake manifold and heads were fully open as normal.

My guess is that the gasket restrictions are to prevent excessive coolant
flow (and heat) under the carb plenum area of the intake manifold.  On
other IH engines (such as my 1976 V345A) that have exhaust gas
recirculating in the passageway under the plenum, the gasket would of
course not be restricted as on the gaskets I saw at the wrecking yard.

Best regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |    1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot"
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |