Air Conditioning Question

     I was wondering if anybody cold help me with a little problem.  I am
currently stripping my '78 Scout that was rear ended last summer and
I am parting it out(HINT: I'VE GOT PARTS FOR SALE).  I am now going
to disconnect the air compressor, but I don't want to lose any of the
freon so I can save the Ozone layer and reuse it for latter(MAYBE).
Here's my question:  I was scanning my service manual and it stated
that if you open a valve on the compressor you could transfer the freon
to the compressor and close it off leaving the rest of the system empty
to freon.  I'll do some more reading, but would greatly appreciate any
and all info on doing this or any other way of safely removing the freon
from the system.  Thanks in advance.

~Kevin J. De Vries~

De Vries Family Scout List
'72 Scout half-cab w\258 2x4
'74 Scout travel-t w\258 4x4 (PARTS)
'74 Scout travel-t w\345 4x4
'76 Scout travel-t w\turbo diesel 4x4
'77 Scout travel-t w\304 4x4
'78 Scout travel-t w\304 4x4 (PARTS)
'80 Scout traveler less turbo diesel 4x4 (PARTS)