Tires

>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:27:57 +0000
>From: gehl@domain.elided
>Subject: 7.50x16 Tires and More ...
>
>I enjoy the post regarding Travelall 7.50x16 tires.  How tall would
>this mounted tire and wheel be?

I don't remeber the diameter, but 33 inches sticks in my
no-longer-very-sticky mind. Call your tire dealer and ask him the diameter.

What size wheel to recommend?
7.50 designation means this is a truck tire and doesn't, I don't think,
come in a variety designed for different wheel widths. However, this kind
of tire is made for what we would consider a skinny wheel.

>Will this size work on my Scout2?

If I'm right about the 33" , then you would need a lift on your Scout in
order to be able to use this diameter tire. The 7.00X16 would have a
slightly smaller diameter and a 7.00 X15 would be smaller yet.

How do these two bodystyles
>compare regarding wheel openings?
The 1210 sat high and I assume from the way it looked had much bigger wheel
openings, but if you could handle the diameter, you could handle the wheel
opening size without modification.
What ply ratings are recommended?
I think my Michelins were 6 ply.
>I figure 4 ply will cover my loading needs, but read recently that a
>higher ply rating (6?) will allow better cornering.  Do higher ply
>tires imply less fuel economy?
I doubt that it does. A radial tire though rolls easier than a bias ply
tire. I imagine that in these truck tires, bias tires are still readily
available, but you should go with radials if you go this way.  The Michelin
was a wonderful tire, but that was a long time ago. I used to have them
capped at a special truck tire dealer in Stockton, CA, but the caps weren't
ever as reliable as the new tire.

I know little about tires and I note
>the 7.50x16 seems to be a favorite ... are there many widths
>available ie: 7.00, 7.25, 7.50, 7.75, 8.00, etc... or are there only
>a couple of sizes and this is the magic size?  Mark

I don't believe so,  the sizes I see available for trucks are the 7.00 X16
and 15 , and the 7.50X16 and 15. When I bought my Travelall, I had the
choice of any of these sizes and split rims or conventional. It seemes as
if International viewed its 1210 model as a real truck rather than as a
large Scout. My Travelall was rated at 10,000 lbs. towing capacity, which
was amazing to me. It and the Suburban were the only choices with real
passenger seats inside. I loved it, probably more in retrospect than I did
at the time.
John

John Hofstetter, who nets at   http://www.goldrush.com/~hofs
PROBABLY MORE TO REMEMBER THAN EVER REALLY HAPPENED
Owner of 79 Scout Terra  with 8000 lb. Warn Winch,
Detroit Locker in rear and LS in front,
 4" Trailmaster lift    Holley E F I  Mallory Unilite Dist.   MSD ignition
Too darn long and too darn wide  to always go where I ask it to go.
NRA, Life Member   Calif. Rifle and Pistol Assn.
Blue Ribbon Coalition              Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group     MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators,  Life Member