Re: Backfire....

Ckhansen <Ckhansen@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

>OK....I have something I can't figure out.  My 76 Scout with a 345 2 barrel
>backfires occasionally just on startup.   Timing is good, recent tuneup, new
>fuel pump and filter.  Runs good otherwise.  Any ideas??

Chris,

1. Check the ignition timing.  It may be too far advanced.  If it shows as
being correct, don't rule out that it still isn't right.  There's always the
slim possibility that harmonic balancer on the crankshaft has slipped giving
an incorrect (retarded) ignition timing.

2. Look for intake leaks... especially loose or cracked vacuum hoses.

3. Make sure the divorced choke mechanism is adjusted and working properly.

4. Insure that the ignition wires are in good condition and you aren't getting
cross firing.

Good luck,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |  1976 Scout Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |   V345A, 727, 3.54, MSD, Edelbrock