spindle help

O.K. guys I need a support group on this one. My 79 started squealling
somthine awful this week. So, today I opened up the passenger side hub.
When I did the snap ring on the axle shaft fell out onto the ground. At
this point I knew this wasn't going to be a fun day. After getting the
rest of the hub off I found that the lock ring with the set screws had a
groove worn into the face of it and I couldn't get the last set screw
out. I had to drill it out. Then the nut wouldn't turn off. I had to
break a cardinal rule and use a screw driver and hammer to beat the nut
off. Once that was off I got the lock ring off and began to turn the set
nut off with my fingers. As I got it near the end is stoped turning. I
had to again resort to the screw driver and hammer. After destroying the
nut I finally got it off.Now it appears the first couple of threads on
the spindle are damaged. I have an axle in the garage that is slatted to
go under my 71 so I really don't want to steal the spindle off of that.
I don't have any kind off thread chasser to use on the threads. I am
really in a quandry. I don't want to start a complet spindle replacement
today and juscompletely lost my enthusiasum to work on it.
   So,sorry about the long post. Any ideas or words of encouragemen\t
would be appreciated.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
1979 International Scout EXR                              (Extreme Rust)
1971 International Scout MD
                              (Many Dents)