Winches on a scout.

Willy,

        I've got a Ramsey RE 8000 on the front of my '76 Scout II.  It's in a
frame made out of 3" wide by 1/4" thick steel plates welded. It is bolted to the
frame end by the two vertical bolts from the bumper, and a center bolted through
the frame about lined up with the crankshaft of the engine.  It has a bumper on
it, that has curved corners, and available from almost any bumper shop.  The box
has held up well to the rigors of pulling (Righted 2 rolled vehicles with it) as
well as winching me up and out over and over.  The bolts are (I think 5/8").
There is a roller fairlead bolted to the top of the front of the frame (The
front is made out of right-angle stock)  I have always ended up bending the
fairlead rather than any part of the box.  I've also unfortunately had more than
a few accidents where I've hit people with this winch/bumper, and it tears other
cars up.  All it does to me is bend the bumper a little, and I bend it out with
a 2x4.  I wish I had a scanner or I'd send pictures to the list/net, right now
I'll see if I can dig up some to sent to ya.  I run the power cable through the
bottom steel grill and around the left side of the radiator top.  I run it loose
and connect it with an extended bolt on the batt terminal.  I figure if it's
normally disconnected there's no 400 AMP Murphy cable to the frame from the
batt.

        If you have questions, just holler,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.