Re:AC compressor lube

<SNIP>
From: "daniel.r.felix.1" <dfelix2@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: ihc-digest V5 #123

I think Mark asked this a while back and I haven't seen any answers to
it.
I was wondering about it myself, too.  Don't the A/C compressors have to
have some kind of lubricant from the freon??  One of my uncles says it
doesn't, he's a mechanic and has apparently done this conversion to an
air
compressor.  One of my other uncles, however, said that they do require
lubrication from the freon.  He used to be a mechanic, but got out of it
about 10 years ago.  Who is right??  I'm not sure, but could both of
them
be right, i.e. could/do the newer compressors that use the new
refrigerant
not need lubrication from the lubricant, and the older ones that use
freon
need the lubricant??  My uncle who has done the conversion said that the
one he did it on didn't put out that much pressure, and that a
compressor

<end snip>

All refrigerant systems that use Freon's I know of use a lubricant that
is compatible with the freon.  The new as well as old Freon's are not
lubricants.  In fact they are very good cleaners.  Many electronics
manufactures used R-11  Freon for cleaning circuit boards until CFC
venting laws were established.

Since the refrigerant systems are designed to be closed systems, what
lubricant that migrates with the freon (refrigerant), eventually comes
back to the compressor.   Reciprocating compressors like the York used
in the IH's are very good at moving Migrating) the oil.

So now you want to use the same compressor, open up the system, to pump
air?  You will need to add some type of pre-oiler on the intake side as
well as fill the oil resivor (crankcase) of the compressor.  You may
want to collect this oil down line before it gets into tires, tools,
ect.  You also have added a high maintenance item as you will need to
check the oil level in the crankcase of the York more often.

Probably the ultimate solution would be to take pistons out of York
compressor and have them machined for additional rings to help eliminate
the oil.

Has anyone ever install additional tubing and a reversing valve for an
automotive  AC systems?  This would give you instant heat out of your AC
system to aid in heating up the cab before the engine is warm.

Rob Marks
NW Binders