Re: Con-Ferr Shackles...Spare Batteries...

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>         Also, what are the recommendations for mounting an extra battery
>      in a '75 T'all.  What about isolators, and mixers?  I was going to
>      run the accesories off the spare batt. and run a high-current relay
>      between the two batts to charge the spare only when I need to.  I
>      was thinking of a deep-cycle boat battery for the second.  Any
>      ideas?

FYI, remember that a deep cycle battery will NOT put out as much "juice"
as a regular "starter" battery.. so, for a WINCH, you *do not* want the
Deep Cycle, but rather a good Starter Battery.

Even lights.. if you're running a few high powered ones, should be run
from a "starter" battery..

OTOH, if you want to use a DC--> AC inverter to run a TV set while
camping, a deep cycle may be your choice.. you can severely discharge a
deep cycle and bring it back to life a number of times, whereas a
"starter" battery kinda falls apart after a few good super-deep discharges.

Note this also means you don't want to use a deep-cycle to start your
truck.. take a look at CA and CCA on a deep-cycle (if it has a rating)..
I was just looking at some Exide NASCAR series batteries for my Scout
II.. 1100CA available.. I bought the 850 or so @ $75 (less $5 core)

BTW, Scout II batts are the "24" group..

Anyone know what the 5"x7" battery size "group" is?  That's about what I
figure I have room for where the stock jack was.. and I found a battery
or three at K-Mart that fit those dimensions..

Not sure if the air compressor pump will extend out farther than the
alternator.. might need a "narrower" battery in that case. I'll find out
soon 'nuff.

YMMV

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout