Re: digest 118 & 119 Bearing numbers and a question!

I checked the I.B.I. Bearing Guide for the Nachi bearing used in the air
conditioning clutch.  It is marketed under no less than 26 brand names and in
58 different configurations. Two being IHC (221438H & 221438H1) and one Case-
IH (221438H1).  The basics of this bearing are Double row, 2 seals. 1.1811 in
(30mm) ID, 2.4409 in (62mm) OD, 1.0625 in (1 1/16) (26.99mm) W.   The only
differences would be the number and diameter of the rollers.

Now I would like to ask an opinion oh my fellow IH lovers and mechanically
minded.

Theory #1.  If I installed a manual overdrive transmission behind the
automatic on my 75 model IHpickup, shouldn't I be able to use it as an
overdrive for increased fuel economy,as well as a variation of lower ranges
for load pulling ? ie: camper in the mountains....hayfields.....ect???   It
would be a custom installation. Which is not a lot of trouble, but it would
also be unique!

Theory #2 Same as the above but the transmission is installed in reverse (
output  to input and then input to output.  This would give one lower range,
one direct drive  and1, 2 or 3 higher ranges, depending on the ratios.  One or
two are more practical, the highest range could have idling at 100 mph or so.
My question here is would a manual transmission work in reverse?

I would appreciate any and all comments on this......Thanks for reading!

Tim Smith
Douglasville, GA