Re: Heaters

tsm1@domain.elided (Tom Mandera) scribbled in the sand:

>I don't think the thermostat is shot.. The motor warms up about as quick as
>my 304 did.. just a *little* slower warming up, but again, it burns less
>gas.. and the block isn't much smaller!

Tom,

If the engine just sitting there idling slowly drops in temperature, I'd sure
suspect the thermostat as being top of this list as a likely culprit.  Doesn't
mean it is, but they are relatively inexpensive and easy to change, so that's
where I'd start.  If after that it still drops in temp, then I'd consider
other measures like the canvas curtain or cardboard on the front of the grill
to block some of that incoming cold air.

>So.. do I attribute this lack of flesh-searing heat to the greater
>temperature difference the heater needs to make up (instead of 35 to 70, it
>needs to go from -15 to 70).. or is it a gradually plugging heater core? (I
>also need to clean out the driver's side defroster that hardly blows..
>passenger side works fine)..

The fact that the engine temperature is dropping is a good indicator that the
heater core isn't to blame.  Running the heater full blast does have a
pronounced cooling effect on the engine coolant.  However, I sure think the
cooling system in a big IH engine (even a four cylinder) should be able to
compensate just fine.  If the engine temperature warms up at some point to
normal and stays there *and* the heater fails to put out enough heat, then at
that point I'd start blaming the heater.

It's been in the mid-twenties here in Western Washington the last few mornings
and my 345 equipped Traveler takes a painfully long time to warm up if I just
sit there.  I'm greedy and want to warm my toes right away after starting, so
I steal as much heat as I can from the poor engine and the warm up process is
extended because of this.  I can only imagine how long this would take at -10
degrees.  On cold days like this with my heater going full blast, my engine
coolant temperature never gets much above 170 degrees with my 180 degree
thermostat.  Since I installed the Edelbrock four barrel carb and ditched the
intake air heat riser assembly, the beast is very cold natured on these winter
mornings until the coolant hits about 165 degrees after startup.

Have fun,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |  1976 Scout Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |   V345A, 727, 3.54, MSD, Edelbrock