Heaters

As I drove around all day yesterday (almost never shut it off) at -10 or so,
my '77 Scout II w/ 196 just didn't warm up the cab that much.. yes, the cab
was "warm", but it certainly never got "toasty".

This same truck, just a few months ago, would take 35 degree outside air and
darn near scald my leg..

also, my '72 w/ 304V8, a new thermostat, new blower motor, and flushed
heater core would just about scald me in the dead of winter once it got
warmed up.

I expect the 304 to make more heat.. bigger motor.

But if I leave the 196 idle for a length of time, the engine temp goes down
a bit, and the heater just blows somewhat warm air.  Drive around a bit, and
it gets better, but not great.

The fan seems to turn all the time.. haven't looked into what particular
type of setup it has.. though it's a 4 or 5 blade flex fan.

I've never had a problem w/ overheating, either.

I don't think the thermostat is shot.. The motor warms up about as quick as
my 304 did.. just a *little* slower warming up, but again, it burns less
gas.. and the block isn't much smaller!

So.. do I attribute this lack of flesh-searing heat to the greater
temperature difference the heater needs to make up (instead of 35 to 70, it
needs to go from -15 to 70).. or is it a gradually plugging heater core? (I
also need to clean out the driver's side defroster that hardly blows..
passenger side works fine)..

Or is there something else that can be done?  I haven't looked at the
thermostat on the 196 yet, but I believe I have a 180 in the 304.. any
opinions on running a higher thermostat in the winter or.. ?

*shrug*

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
High of -2 today, and boy is it slick out side!