Rev. limiters

>That being said, certain aspects of the mechanical design of the engine
>will naturally limit the maximum rpm it can achieve.  Typically the valves
>begin "float" instead of being able to properly open and close at higher
>rpms.  Also, the capacity of the ignition system to effectively and
>accurately fire each cylinder in the neighborhood of 40 - 50 times per
>second (at 5000 - 6000 rpm) can also be a limiting factor.  If some design
>characteristic or capacity doesn't naturally limit the rpm first, then
>mechanical failure of a part will... like a connecting rod flying out of
>the oil pan!

Just because I thought it was strange, my MSD 6A came with the following
rev. limiting plug in modules: 3000,  6000,  7000, 8000 rpm.
That's a hard group to choose from for my 345 engine.
John

John Hofstetter a.k.a. Ol'Saline, who's been a lot of places none of us is
allowed to go anymore and that's a real tragedy, and who to quote the
senator from Texas, "has more guns than he needs but not as many as he
wants"
79 Scout Terra with 8000 lb. Warn Winch, Detroit Locker in rear and limited
slip in front, 4" Trailmaster lift kit, Holley Electronic Fuel Injection,
Mallory Unilite Distributor                                  MSD ignition
"It's a legend", but it's too darn long and too darn wide sometimes to go
where I ask it to go.

National Rifle Association Life Member   California Rifle and Pistol
Association
Blue Ribbon Coalition                    Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group             MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators  Life Member