Re: *Stabilizer*

>>       What about shackles? I know Confer makes some heavy duties as
>>well as others. I'm considering getting rid of that "stabilizer" (the
>>piece of spring steel that goes between the two front shackles) and
>>going with a shock type in the interest of a little more articulation.
>> Comments?

>The metal brace on the shackles is not a "stabilizer" but an anti-sway
>bar.. YES, you can gain a little bit of articulation by removing it, but
>not much if any.  When I was playing on the Ramp at the NWBinder Roundup,
>I asked if I should unbolt my anti-sway bar.. consensus was that I
>*could*, but I'd only gain a point or two.. if that.  I decided it wasn't
>worth yanking my socket set out from under the seat..

>Stabilizers are different, attached between the steering linkage and the
>axle tube, to minimize bump steer and such.  The goal is to NOT break
>your arms when your front tires hit a large rock while driving or
>wheeling.. the stabilizer slows things down a bit.

Thanks Tom,

	(Despite my brain farting description, I actually knew that piece
of spring steel doesn't act as a stabilizer. I just couldn't think of the
proper term and I mixed two seperate questions in to one)

	Basically I was asking if I would fly off the road and die if I
removed the anti-sway bar, but from your answer I think I'll just leave it
on (the gain in flex sounds minimal).

bye for now

Mark A. Pepe			mpepe@domain.elided		Tucson,Az