Re: odometer/speedometer accuracy

>Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 22:49:29 -0800
>From: Mike Bucher <mbucher@domain.elided>
>Subject: Mime-Version: 1.0
>
>Tom,
>"I would travel 1.1miles on the Odometer, when the mile markers would only
>read 1 mile.. 10% slower!  "
>
>The odometer is a gear driven device, the speedometer needle runs off a
>magnetic coupling.  The odometer will be linear and the speedometer can
>vary.  On my Datsun, the odometer is about 3% off, the speedometer is
>accurate to 25 and gets way off above.  Nominally 10 miles off at 65.  Need
>to check odometer and speedometer for accuracy.

If you are striving for precision and using highway mile markers, use a
distance of 10 or so miles.  I've done this in the past, checking the
stopwatch and odometer after one mile and after the 10th mile, and I am
convinced the extra 9 miles is well worth the time spent.  Of course it
helps when you have a flat road and for the speedometer you need to
maintain the same speed for the whole run.  But if you are driving your
favorite International, you won't mind the extra distance as long as you can
afford the fuel! :-]

Mike

jmdaugh@domain.elided