Re: IH Transmission Codes

>The following types did:  the T-39 , T-49, and transmissions that IH
identified only
>as 13309 (this should be 13039, I believe), 13049, and 13409, which
looked to be >variants of the T-39 and T-49.

There may be some confusion about the IH coding system that designates
components such as transmissions.  The IH specifications system since the
early 1950's divided the truck into 17 major component groups.  This is
most obvious if you have a parts book and look at the section numbers.
If you have a lineset ticket, you will see the same thing.  Transmissions
were Group 13 and appending 13 to a 3 digit number is the same as T- and
that number and a transmission's being referenced one way vs. the other
does not indicate a difference;T-407=13407 for the Chrysler, etc.

Some of the manuals also seem confused on what was available when.  IH
used the Borg Warner only through 1972 (T-39 in the Scout and apparently
T-49 in the Light Line) and the Chrysler (T-407 in all models) only after
that.  I haven't had any experience with the vacuum control valve, so
will make no comments on that issue.

The group codes for the whole spec system are:
01-Frame
02-Front Axle
03-Suspension
04-Brakes
05-Steering
06-Prop Shaft
07-Exhaust
08-Electrical
09-Front Sheet Metal
10-Mechanical Instruments, Tools, and Misc.
11-Clutch
12-Engine
13-Transmission
14-Rear Axle
15-Fuel System
16-Cab and Body
17-Wheels

I don't think there is any significance to the numbers used for a
particular component. The system seemed to grow out of earlier systems
and was probably an arbitrary assignment of the numbers.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts