Re: Xfer case popping out of gear

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:46:40 -0700 (MST)
>From: Mark A Pepe <mpepe@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Another Transmission/transfer case Question
>
>O.K., I have a 76 Traveler with 345 and I think TF727.
>
>Yesterday I went putting around some nearby mountains and used low range
>for the first time. (I have only had this truck for about 2 months and am
>still "getting to know it") I don't know if I have any traction aiding
>difs (I bought the truck from a second party who knew nothing of it's
>history) anyhow.. I shifted into low range and it worked fine until I was
>turning while climbing a rough hill and the transfer case lever suddenly
>popped into nuetral with a clunking/binding sound. so I thought "hmm...
>That's odd" and shifted it into low again and kept going and turned wheel
>pretty far again and *Clunk* out of gear goes the lever again! It didn't
>do this in high range as much as I drove it that day. After this happened
>I was hesitant to use 4x4 and headed back into town (just in case)
>
>Well no other problems, the hubs were locked while I was out there and I
>am clueless to what would cause this.
>
>	If I had a locker, would it maybe do this? I wouldn't think so
>	Could I have a bent axle or something else (I.E. screwed up low
>	range?). It seemed to do fine when I went straight only kicking
>	out in a medium to sharp wheel turn.
>
>Thanks for any comments!
>
>Regards
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>Mark A. Pepe			mpepe@domain.elided		Tucson,Az

We have this happen alot with the old backhoes that have a manual
forward/reverse gearbox.  It always seems to be caused be severe wear to the
gears and/or synchronizers.  If this is a rare occurrence, you can hold the
case in 4LOW when you expect a problem.  If this is happening frequently, it
may be time to start looking for parts (or a whole other Dana 20) to solve
your problem.  BTW, if the mechanics (mechaniacs?) I work with can fix those
manual shuttle gearboxes with a good shop manual, you should have no trouble
at all!

Good luck,
Denni Feagins