xfer pops out of gear

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Mark A Pepe wrote:

> history) anyhow.. I shifted into low range and it worked fine until I was
> turning while climbing a rough hill and the transfer case lever suddenly

I'll second Howard's theory on some wear and/or interference.. but I've
NEVER had a Dana 20 jump out of LOW.. both of my Scouts have jumped out
of 4-HI on me from time to time (or won't come OUT heh), but 4-lo has
always been my savoir.. the 2:1 gear reduction binds things up well
enough to keep the lever where it should be.

My '77 will jump out of 4-hi now and then.. particularly if I drive from
an icy patch to a dry patch of street..

OTOH, my '72 has a shot 3spd, and *IT* will jump out of gear.. much more
annoying than the Dana 20 4wd issue.. try a tranny that "slips" out of
Reverse (gotta hold the manual drum brakes, hold the tranny in R, *and*
man-handle the manual steering w/ 31s, trying to backup and turn..).. it
will also "fall" out of 2nd, unless you keep power to things.. (just
accelerate all the time, and it's OK.. heh)

Anyhow.. I've attributed the Dana 20 issue to either WEAR, or at times,
chunks of mud jammed in the shifter linkages, which then freezes or just
flat out gets jammed.. causing enough resistance that I can't get into
4wd, or when I do, it's "pushing" my out of 4wd the whole time..

-Tom