266 overhaul

Hey guys... My name is John Healey,
from Austin, Texas. A couple of months ago I found a '69 800
from a lady that used it on her deer lease and bought it for $500. It ran,
but needed tires and the engine was burning oil.
It is in pretty decent shape and is mostly all there (swingaway rear spare
holder, hard top, etc.). It has a 266 V8. (this is the second scout to my
home -- my
roommate has a '79 II).

So, the question: After pulling apart the engine, the rings, pistons
and cylinders look great. There was hardly any ridge on the cylinders, and
the pistons came right out without ridge reaming.

I haven't been able to come up with a micrometer
to measure the bores, but I'm figuring that since everything looks good and
the ridge was so small -- meaning you could just barely feel a ridge in
certain areas on the cylinder -- I'm assuming that deglazing
and new rings will work okay. (a guy at a local parts store said if your
fingernail didn't doesn't catch the ridge, that deglazing will work fine).

Anyone have some knowledge/experience to share?

Thanks...
-John

PS: Perhaps an untapped source of parts:
Slim Kotrla's Auto Care/Temple, TX
254-778-9609(w)
Works on really nothing but Scouts. Bought an almost perfect 800 backseat
from him. Has complete trucks and parts for sale. Seems to have 80/800/II
parts.