Re: Transmissions and alternators

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998 21:34:19 -1000 "Sue Blocki-McKenna"
<Kukana1@domain.elided> writes:
>I have a couple of questions concerning interesting phenomena
>regarding my 71 Scout II.  My Scout has  an automatic transmission, a
>borg-warner(?) and the other day when I was doing something in the
Scout, I forget what precisely, I started it while it was in reverse!  It
did not go
>immediately into gear, but instead hesitated about 5 seconds and then
engaged.
>Otherwise this seems to be a very normal tranny, works well, shifts
>very smooth and crisply etc.  No I did not try to start it in any other
>gear so I do not know if will do that or not.  Anybody ever heard of
this
>before?

I would suspect a bad neutral start switch.  Try it in some other gears.
If not that, then possibly you have an adjustment situation where the
transmission may not be fully into gear and the neutral start switch
still sees it as in neutral (or park), but when it started, the
transmission slipped fully into reverse.  The hesitation would seem
normal until pressure in the transmission builds up.

>  Ok now onto alternators;  I was browsing
>through the parts catalog at work today and I noticed that an optional
145 amp
>alternator was available for the 345 engine, is this a bolt in for the
>standard 63 amp bracket, Howard?  Thanks for any help comments in
>advance.

This  wasn't offered in the Scout and I'd suspect it probably has a
larger frame, but don't know for sure.  From other items here about
larger alternators, you would need to wire that directly to the battery
as the dash wiring and ammeter isn't up to that level of output.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts