Transmissions and alternators

I have a couple of questions concerning interesting phenomena regarding my
71 Scout II.  My Scout has  an automatic transmission, a borg-warner(?) and
the other day when I was doing something in the  Scout, I forget what
precisely, I started it while it was in reverse!  It did not go immediately
into gear, but instead hesitated about 5 seconds and then engaged.
Otherwise this seems to be a very normal tranny, works well, shifts very
smooth and crisply etc.  No I did not try to start it in any other gear so
I do not know if will do that or not.  Anybody ever heard of this before?
Any comments appreciated.  Ok now onto alternators;  I was browsing through
the parts catalog at work today and I noticed that an optional 145 amp
alternator was available for the 345 engine, is this a bolt in for the
standard 63 amp bracket, Howard?  Thanks for any help comments in advance.
Aloha
Charlie McKenna
Waipahu HI
Akahai - kindness