Re: Workin' on the street

Joseph M. Shaw, II wrote:  I have removed the heads to clean out the
cylinders
> and piston heads.  Is there anything I must do before reinstalling
> everything.
> Michael

Michael,
I would check the valves very carefully, look for burnt edges, my
brother always turns the heads upside down and pours gasoline in the
chambers to see if it leaks by the valves. Check to make sure no springs
are broken (I had a broken spring on a 345 and didn't realize it till I
took it off because of the double springs). Check the heads for
straightness with a straightedge (all gasket surfaces, do the manifolds
too.)
I really think you should consider getting a valve job done while you
have the heads off. I've gotten a 3-angle for $125, check around and you
might find it even cheaper. This would also get you new valve seals and
the chance to have the valve guides examined.
If money is holding you back, rent or buy a valve spring compressor and
hand lap the valves(did this with my first IH). Valve seals come with
the gasket set.
Eric Walter