Re: Everything you wanted to know about Lockomatics, but........

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Howard R Pletcher wrote:

> I hope this helps you understand some of the differences between the two
> modes.  Just keep in mind that the two modes are really two different
> mechanisms.

Wow, Howard!  Congratulations on yet another GREAT technical explanation!

So, LOCK 'em when I want to do some wheelin', but they're fine for icy
streets in AUTO mode.. or in situations like those old Ford vs. Chevy
commercials (Hey, idiot, you've found yourself in a deep swamp with
'gators all around you.. and YOU were incapable of forseeing this and
LOCKing those manual hubs before hand!  d'oh)

I was afraid there might be some overall weaknesses vs. the manuals.. but
in LOCK mode, they're all the same so.. GREAT!

One more question though..

I've seen hubs branded "IH" and "Lock-O-Matic", and I have a set of hubs
branded "IH" and "AUTOMATIC"

Is my assumption that I have an earlier Lock-O-Matic?  This is supposed
to be a '76 Dana 44.. Any particular changes to the "AUTOMATIC" vs.
"Lock-O-Matic" hubs, aside from a different "handle" casting? :-)

Thanks again, Howard!

-Tom