RE: Scout 80 Temp Guage help/Inst CVR

John T Asked:
So, anyway, here is my question.... According to the manual,
these constant voltage regulators can be both internal to
a particular guage, and they can be a separate external unit
as well... Would it be possible to buy an external unit (new)
and simply hook it up to the "A" terminals on both my temp
and fuel gauges???

John:
There is a great writeup on building a solid state external
voltage regulator (By John Landry, if I remember right) on the FAQ.
You can build one using John's writeup.  You can also
get the stock style external units, which are about
1-1/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" in size.  I was researching to see if a new
stock style unit was available for 70's era IHCs and could not
find any that mount the the guage in the same manner.  But,
if you ask the parts man to show you the picture (i.e., go to
a parts store that still has REAL BOOKS, not a computer),
you can get one that has a metal mounting tab (ground) and
two 1/4" tabs for slide-on electrical connectors (+12V IGN
and "regulated" output).  I say "regulated" because the stock
style just switches +12V on and off to approximate 5 volts.
The solid state unit is much more accurate and stable, but
I'm sure either approach would be a big improvement over what
you have now.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup