Re: Engine Block Weight

> On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 08:46:43 -0800, Mike Bucher
> <mbucher@domain.elided> wrote:
>
> >Lets see, heads on a 345 weigh about 80# x 2 = ~160# + intake manifold 70#
> >or so, whole thing comes to 230# =/-.  Do you have a skyhook handy?
>
> Just out of curiosity, could anyone venture to guess how much a 345 block
> would weigh after you removed the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds,
> heads, water pump, etc... but left in the crank, pistons, etc.
>
> Someday I'll have to pull my 345 to rebuild it, and I have limited space in
> which to do it.  My plan would be to strip the engine as much as possible
> before attempting to pull it.  But I fear it still might weigh in the 500
> pound range... no?
 My guesses from lifting and carrying stuff (I'm rebuilding a 392, but a 345
should be close):

  Block:   175
  Crank:    70
  Pistons:  50

 I was able to lift/drag/controlled drop a block out of the back of my Scout
by myself, so it can't weigh that much. I've got a block with the crank
installed that I can sort of walk around to move it without help. Remember
that the heads weigh about 80 lbs. each, and the intake weighs about 70 lbs. -
you lighten up the engine quite a bit by removing these.

> Happy New Year,
>
> John
> jlandry@domain.elided             |
> Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
> Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
> WA Arms Collectors              |
> Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
> http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |

  curt_cleavinger@domain.elided
  Curt Cleavinger
  Storage Technology Corporation