Re: Heater Blower Shaft Rotation

Mallinson1 <Mallinson1@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

>I also had to buy a new blower
>motor but NAPA couldn't tell me if the new motor rotated clockwise or
>counterclockwise, which determines the correct fan.

Steve,

In Scout II's, the blower motor turns clockwise AS VIEWED LOOKING AT THE END
OF THE OUTPUT SHAFT.  I cannot say what earlier models are like, but it's
pretty simple to tell just by looking at the construction of the blower
housing.  The squirrel cage draws in air through the center and "throws" it
out in the direction of rotation.  Hence, the output duct of the blower
housing is off-centered in the direction of the squirrel cage rotation.

>Can I "hot patch" the
>blower across the battery without burning the motor?  I know a fused link
>would be safer, but I'd rather not bolt the whole thing together to find out.

Are you saying you want to bypass your current wiring altogether, or you just
want to test the blower?  If you want to run new wiring, you can do this, but
of course you'll still need a switch to control the blower speed and no one in
their right mind would leave an electrical circuit unprotected by some sort of
properly rated fuse, circuit breaker or fusible link.  Doing so tempts fate
and possible disaster (like a vehicle burned to the ground).  If it's just a
temporary test you had in mind... yes, no problem... just touch the ground
wire of blower motor to the negative battery terminal and one or both of the
positive wires of the blower to the positive battery terminal.  The motor
should immediately begin turning, and if it doesn't, disconnect immediately.

Happy New Year,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |