Re: alternators: 63 or 94 amps?

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 DORKIEST@domain.elided wrote:

> With all this talk about alternators, mine decided to blow a fuse.   If I go
> with the 94 amps, do I have to up grade any wires in the harness.  There was
> a statement about going over 100 amps and burning the wires.   On page 106 of

You should run a new, heavier gauge (10#, 8#, 4# would be perfect I
think) from the positive output of the alt directly to the battery.  You
amp gauge will not read "true" (if it ever did).

> the Jan/Feb Summit catalog, The Powermaster 94 amps, Max output @5,600 rpm;
> Cut in @ 1,150 rpm ; 2,400 rpm: 61 amps. $96.95
> Since I rarely go over 3000 rpms, I will never get 94 amps.  Also, the cut in
> seems too high.   Is this typical for 94 amp alternators,and/or will I need
> to get a smaller pulley?  The 94 amp at AutoZone is $59 plus $30 core,  my
> core is not the same.

You don't need the same core.. it's all the "same", amperage output just
differs on how they rebuild the alternator.

Most high-output alternators don't put out much juice at low revs.  I'm
not sure that whatever pulley they ship the alternator with will have it
running at the same RPM as your motor.. but, what you'd want to do is
work things out so the alternator is turning.. 6000rpm when the motor
hits 4000rpm.. or make the alternator run even higher.  Since our IH V8s
don't rev so high to begin with, we can "gear" the accessories to run
faster at idle without risking their "high-rev scatter" factor.. :)

-Tom