will not start

Fellow Scouters,
Please take the time to listen to my problems!  I am stuck and a little
discouraged, but I am gathering up my energy for another go-round with my
Frankenstein Scout.
I took a strong running 345/4bbl with auto out of my 79 super rustbucket.
I removed the auto tranny (burnt-out) and mated the 345 block to the 4spd
that was originally attached to a '77 304/2bbl.
After installing the engine in the '77 and having wiring nightmares (not
through yet!), I cannot make the engine start!
For now, I can forget trying to start the car from the ignition switch
(refer to wiring nightmares).  Still, I *think* I have enough wires
connected to start the engine by jumping the starter.  The problem:
The starter makes a noise like it is spinning, but nothing is happening.
Nothing.  I hear a whine from the starter, but nothing else remotely
sounding like metal making contact with metal, etc.
Before I start pulling the engine apart, starter first, I am wondering if
there is something I am overlooking.
I was bright enough to change the flywheel, installing the manual flywheel
from the 304 on the 345 block.
Was there any other little details I missed in my tranny swap that I need
to correct?
Thanks for the bandwidth.
danny
bturnip@domain.elided