Re: WinchPossibilities

>Be Crazy" last night, the part where the winch hoists the Land Rover
>off the ground up into the tree.  I have never used a winch.  I can
>movie, but to lift the whole vehicle???  Even if we assume the
>batteries are up to it, and capable of operating without fail on
>their side, is this possible???  Love that film, makes me want to
>go out and buy an old Land Rover. (Good for me that they are
>impossible to find in the midwest).  Mark

Not that hard even here in Montana to find an LR.. saw a new yellow Defender
while I was at school in Bozeman...

Anyhow.. I believe you could winch a truck straight up into a tree with a
winch.. (provided it's not a Milemarker or a PTO winch that would both stop
the moment your carb puked out)

The winch manufacturers explicity warn AGAINST this.. even my Hi-Lift says
something about not suspending my Scout from it.  But you can do it.

Just a matter of how much grunt!

There was a thread on the Off-road Digest a few weeks ago (and a wrieup on a
website) of a group's trekk up Surprise Canyon to Panamint in Death Valley..
John H. can tell us all more about it, but it involves winching your truck
nearly vertically up 7 waterfalls.. how's that for fun?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout II