Electric vs. mechanical fuel pump - or both?

While I was trying to figure out the poor starting characteristics of my
'79 Traveler, I added an electric fuel pump.  I blocked off the mechanical
pump on the block.  I have since come to the conclusion that the problem
lay in the 1)stuck valve in #1, 2)a couple of bad plugs, and 3)lack of a
carb insulating gasket (4 bbl Performer carb sitting on heated manifold -
thanks FAQ guys!).

Now that I'm putting it back together, is there any advantage to scrapping
the electric pump, and putting the mechanical one back?  Or should I just
keep the electric one?  Or, both, and run'em in series?

Any takers?

Merry Christmas

Roger Scow
'78 Traveler/392/TF727

***
It's funny, you'd think that all of those guys in MENSA, the genius club,
could have figured out that, in Spanish, "mensa" means "stupid."