Re: On board air

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 13:54:00 -0700, "Abrusci, Mike (NM75)"
<mike.abrusci@domain.elided> wrote:

>I set up then removed my on board air system, I found it would not put
>out much air pressure by it self. As soon as I would put my finger over
>the output the pressure safety  would shut it off. (Safety off of 20gal
>3hp tank). I only tried it at an idle.  I still have it and would like
>to put it back. Its a york,set at a 45% angle with a little oil.

Weird.  I'm using a Square-D pressure switch (part number FHG-12J52) that
energizes the compressor clutch when the pressure drops below 95 psi and
de-energizes the clutch when the pressure hits 125 psi.  I have a safety
pop off valve in the system which gives way at 150 psi, because that's what
my air line filter and tank are rated at (protecting the weak links).  The
York compressor is capable of *much* higher pressures though.  I also
installed an "unloader" valve which relieves the pressure on the output
side of the compressor when it stops.  This makes it easier for the
compressor to restart when it cycles because it doesn't have to start
against all that pressure.

>For those of you who have one working.
>Did you lay it flat and how with oil?

Mine is mounted on its side, just like stock.  I use Mobil Rarus 427
non-detergent compressor oil at the recommended level of oil per the IH
shop manual... I don't have it with me as I post this, but going from
memory it's like 1.25" deep of oil in the compressor case.  I measure it
with a little dipstick I made from a piece of soft copper 10 gauge wire.  I
don't know what the fear is, but I've had no oil leakage past the pistons
when mounted this way.  I suppose if the compressor were completely worn
out it might blow oil into the head past the pistons, but it's designed to
run on either side or standing up.

>Did you change the size of the pulley?

No.

>What did you use for a tentionare? I have a 79 scout 2.

My IH A/C compressor bracket has a threaded bolt on the side which acts as
a tensioner, but you can buy what's called a "belt jack" to place between
the pullies and apply the proper v-belt tension.  The tension is supposed
to be pretty high... like 90 to 120 pounds (going from memory).

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |